PositiveSingles.com - the largest STD-single dating site!

Google

Sunday, June 18, 2006

US circumcisers allowed to suck again

No offense to those in the Jewish community but this is just gross to me. I'm sure there is a long history and meaning behind this practice, but it just makes me cringe when I read about this being permitted again. Freedom of Religion, what a wonderful thing (tongue in cheek).

Here is the article:

Year-and-half ban on oral suction of baby's penis during circumcision lifted, after rabbis agree to adopt new hygiene rules by: Haim Levinson


Controversy resolved: New York ultra-Orthodox rabbis signed an agreement with the State's health commissioner allowing them to perform the traditional oral suction ritual during circumcisions. This puts an end to a year-and-a-half long strife over a ban on performing this ritual, imposed due to severe health hazards.


In the haredi Judaism, it is customary for the mohel (circumciser) to suck the blood from the baby's penis immediately after the bris (circumcision). In more modern communities, the mohel sucks the blood using a straw.


About a year-and-a-half ago, health authorities in the United States prohibited circumcisers from sucking the blood with their mouth, following seven cases in which babies contracted herpes as a result of the ritual. One baby passed away, and another one sustained brain damage.


During the last five months, American rabbis and Commissioner of Health for the State of New York Antonia Novello, have been involved in intense negotiations, in the course of which "they learned a lot about science, and I studied some Talmud," Novello said.

Israel authorities prefer use of straw.


According to the new regulations stipulated in the agreement, circumcisers will have to exercise the hygiene rules enforced on surgeons: They will have to remove all jewelries before performing the suction, clean their nails and wash their hands with an alcohol-based solution under running water for six minutes. In addition, they will have to wash their mouth with a disinfectant solution that contains 25 percent alcohol for 30 seconds.


Mohels will also have to report if they have herpes, and any circumciser infected with the disease will have his license revoked.


It's not the best solution, but it's better than the way it was before, Novello concluded.


Meanwhile in Israel, the Health Ministry recommends that parents opt for suction through a straw over oral suction. "Every mohel is required to inform the parents if he plans to perform oral suction or use the preferred alternative – a tube," the Ministry reported.


source:

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I realize I'm probably missing the main point of your blog (HSV) but this information just really makes me ill! I am very much anti-circ as a routine infant procedure. While I believe in freedom of choice for adults and I believe in religious freedoms, I still do not believe in Jewish circumcision (As I understand it a child is Jewish as long as the mother is Jewish. Why not let the child decide if he wants to be a circumcised, practicing Jew when he's old enough to make that decision himself, you know?).
Anyway, I had NO IDEA the mohel SUCKED the blood from the childs penis! I don't care if he uses his mouth or a straw, that's just gross and very un-hygenic for all involved! The poor child gets mutilated and then has to endure that! Poor kid!
Thanks for letting me vent! If anybody reads this, routine circumcision is not recommended by any medical organization any where in the world, including the US. We should all stop this barbaric practice for routine, and now I believe for religious, reasons. Leave the baby alone - the way God, nature, intended!
BTW- I do not have HSV but I did learn something from your site. I had no idea there was a blood test to detect it. That's good to know!

Monday, July 03, 2006 9:02:00 PM  
Blogger Luanne said...

I am also anti-circ and don't believe it should be a routine practice, so I'm right there with you on that note. Glad you found my blog informative.

Luanne

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 1:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google