PositiveSingles.com - the largest STD-single dating site!

Google

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Herpes Might Lead To Alzheimer's

Now here is a scary thought. Now unfortunately, alot of what was originally written here is a bit of jibberish to me, but the word Alzheimer's and herpes together, yikes!!

New research says that herpes could play a role in the development of the most common form of dementia, Alzheimer's disease.

The study shows the connection between a gene and herpes simplex 1, or HSV. The form of the ApoE gene called ApoE-4 is the top known factor for Alzheimer's while HSV is the form of herpes that leads to cold sores around the mouth.

The researchers from the University of Rochester Medical Center, concluded that ApoE-4 allows the herpes virus to be more active in the brain.

"The data suggest that ApoE-4 may support the ability of HSV to be a more virulent pathogen," said Howard Federoff, lead author of the research.

The research studied the activity levels of HSV in the brains of mice with the human ApoE gene.

The HSV virus affects brain cells about whether or not the ApoE-4 is present. Although the mice with the ApoE-4 version has the virus being less latent and a better tendency to multiply.


Source:
Date of original article: January 4, 2007 9:19 a.m. EST
Written by: Josephine Roque - All Headline News Staff Writer

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds to me like it's the Alzheimer's gene that "allows" the herpes virus to be more virulent in the brain...not the other way around. I haven't read the article, so couldn't say for sure...

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 7:20:00 PM  
Blogger Luanne said...

I couldn't even begin to tell you. I had found this at one time and found it interesting.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:31:00 AM  
Blogger hope said...

I have/had herpes for 6 years. After taking Valtrex sometime 2 grams a day tp supress or do away with all the effects, i finally am off od valtrex for good anf found something that miraculously worked for me. No more out breaks. I was used to 2 a month then 1 a month with valtrex, now i have not had one for along time. What I take is kind of pricey but well worth it.

Sunday, May 17, 2009 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger hope said...

My own immune system was educated to fight off this virus. It worked wonders for me. I want to help people deal with this.

Sunday, May 17, 2009 12:40:00 PM  
Blogger annie said...

I think it is not that herpes will lead to Alzheimers's but the stress of herpes will lead to it.
I think we need more support in finding out a cure and do more research on ways to cure herpes not do research on herpes causing Alzheimer's.
Annie

Friday, December 10, 2010 11:38:00 PM  
Blogger Luanne said...

I agree Annie. It was just something I had found and thought I would cross post it on my blog.

Personally though, I don't believe that they will ever find a "cure" for herpes. Maybe a vaccine to prevent it for those who don't have it yet. I suspect there are more pressing issues in our health lives that require attention by the researchers. :-)

Luanne

Thursday, February 10, 2011 12:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About six months ago I read a article on some science website they are trying to find a cure. (I had to write a short paper on an article for a biology class). It's difficult because of the way the virus attached to the blood cells. But they have made some progress, or at least that's what the article said. Just FYI for anyone wanting to know about a possible cure. Personally I don't care if they find a cure. This virus has made me stronger and helped me learn who is true and should be in my life. And these blogs are very helpful.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:34:00 PM  
Blogger Luanne said...

to anon from Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:34:00 PM

I agree, at this point, it doesn't matter to me if they find a cure or not, however many others don't feel that way *shrug my shoulders* :-)

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:59:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Friday, December 23, 2011 1:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found out 18 months ago I contracted HSV2 from my husband and worse that he knew he had it for more than a year and didnt tell me, simply allowed me to be infected. Apparently even our life ins agent cared more about me than my husband. Once I found out i had it and husb denied knowledge i remembered a strange conversation my agent had with me a year earlier and realized he was trying to tell me something but couldnt. Turns out, when we took blood test required for increase in life insurance and my husb came back + the agent spoke with my husb privately and warned him i was not+ and pressed him to tell me he was + and that if he were cheating, he needed to come clean with me.
Instead he chose to remain silent and infected me. Even
now, I still feel like a piece of trash and cannot get past
what he did and the fact I am now stuck with this for the
rest of my life. I am still so angry!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:19:00 AM  
Blogger Luanne said...

to anon from Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:19:00 AM

Shame on him for not telling you!! :( I'm sorry.

You need to not define yourself as HERPES though. It's not the end of the world and you'll get through this. If nothing else, it will make you stronger. Hang in there.

Monday, April 09, 2012 2:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google